(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Monday, March 28, 2016

A LITTLE RANT IN VERSE...

Couldn't help myself tonight.
In my off-hours from teaching, I vent through writing...  
This I wrote after our staff meeting this afternoon where my principal made clear how much she disapproves of parents who opt their kids out of harmful testing, and where her interpretation of "un-timed tests" means the kids will actually sit longer than they did in previous years, and where she told us almost defiantly that any student who isn't taking the tests must be sent to "test refusal rooms" with a book and the test prep booklets that they will have to complete assignments in, (??!!) I wrote this:

“I know this is true.”

Kids laugh and they curse.  They read and they wrestle.  They make mountains out of molehills. And rush in to help a fallen friend.

And I know, too, this is true:

Kids are not numbers
nor data
nor countable, quantifiable things that can legitimize the millions upon billions that you would so easily spend
To try to convince us that kids are just numbers
and data
and quantifiable things.

Learning is messy and happy and noisy and unpredictable and twisty and turny 
and did I say messy?

Life, too, is messy and happy and noisy and unpredictable and twisty and turny and don’t forget messy.

And no one is demanding to test what YOU do.


No comments:

Post a Comment