(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

THE CHALLENGES OF TEACHING DURING THIS ELECTION SEASON

Our whole school rearranges our daily schedule several times a year to teach character education lessons.  Today I led a lesson in "Respect." In the middle of talking about how words are powerful and you may not see wounds on the outside, but unkind words can hurt you on the inside, I was stopped in my tracks.

Here I was speaking with my students about the importance of treating each other civilly, with kindness, understanding, and respect, even when we may not agree with each other, and it suddenly seemed so futile.

My students are living in a country where lack of civility and even fomenting violence towards those you disagree with is common place.  Politicians running for office in this election cycle are making disrespect, rudeness, and even violent overtures towards those they disagree with common place and apparently acceptable.

How successful can I be teaching character education to pre-teen students, when all around them are adult models of bad behavior?

Teachers face so many challenges in the classroom.  We're familiar with the long list. But this it too much.

Adults vying for the top office in the land are modeling the worst of human behavior as acceptable, even laudable.

How hard is it for kids to think it's now okay for them to act disrespectfully, even violently towards one another?  It seems the worse you treat others, the more votes you get. Or at the very least, the more air time on television you get.

Who can overcome the powerful allure of that?

And can we be successful countering the dangerous narrative that hateful speech is okay as long as people applaud you for it?

I of course will keep trying.

But I'm less confident who will win this struggle to be decent, moral, ethical, and kind.




No comments:

Post a Comment