(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Thursday, March 24, 2016

RE-IMAGINING AND RE-DESIGNING OUR PUBLIC SCHOOLS

I recently attended a workshop run by the dynamic and passionate Jamaal A Bowman, principal of the Cornerstone Academy of Social Action in the Bronx.  He challenged our group of parents, students, and teachers to REimagine and REdesign our schools. It was a simple yet brilliant concept that focused our energy and creativity on positive outcomes, rather than on the often negative energy that comes from defining and articulating all that's wrong with public education today.  

I'm not interested in naiveté of thought that all our problems can be solved by positive thinking.  But it certainly felt good to spend some time working towards plausible, positive solutions. I spend so much of my teaching life protecting my students from the multitude of bad directives that come from "education reform" efforts.  I have to filter all the crazy stuff I'm told to do before I can create a sane, coherent learning environment for my students.  I don't think I should have to spend more time questioning, than planning and implementing what my students need.

I'm still a realist with a healthy dose of skeptic thrown in. But I'm also willing to believe there's value in imagining positive change to work towards true REdesign.

No comments:

Post a Comment