(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Another letter to the New York State Department of Education (to date, unanswered...)

Dear Mr. ______,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry.  I teach 5th grade in a NY State public school.  I've been anxious to see what would result from the information that has been gathered in recent months from teachers, parents, students and administrators around the state in response to the implementation of the CCSS and the new tests.  


It's possible there's been some mis-understanding about what was meant when concerns were raised about the length of the test and the stress the time spent on tests causes, though.  I think many(all?) of us were hoping there would be a reduction in the number of days of testing, as well as a reduction in the amount of reading passages and questions students are faced with.  It is the cumulative impact of day after day of lengthy testing that causes much of the stress students encounter.  Shortening the tests by a few questions and then allowing students to sit in an un-timed setting for longer than the 70-90 minutes previously allotted, over the course of six days, doesn't seem to address those concerns.

I want to support my students in an appropriate manner.  I'm not sure, though, I understand how I will be administering six days of un-timed tests.  What will the SED be recommending for protocol under the new recommendations of un-timed tests?

I also read, with interest, that teachers are being invited to help write test questions.  Will the Standards be modified before that process begins, so they'll be writing questions for developmentally appropriate standards, or are the standards remaining the same?

Additionally, is it possible there will be further adjustments made in response to concerns, or is this the final response?

I welcome feedback and open dialog, if that is possible.  I am a veteran elementary educator and continue to have passion for my job as a teacher.  I'm interested in helping New York return to sensible education policy that supports all students in their learning journeys.

I look forward to hearing back from you,
Sincerely,


No comments:

Post a Comment