(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Saturday, February 20, 2016

MORE ON INTELLIGENT DISOBEDIENCE

I feel like the universe is trying to underscore my message about Intelligent Disobedience and how important it is.

Twice this week while searching for something new to watch on internet video, I randomly came across movies/shows with similar messages.  The Experimenter turned out to be the story of Stanley Milgram. (Odd, because I had just been writing about Intelligent Obedience...)  While I wouldn't recommend it as the greatest movie ever, it certainly shares his story effectively and shows his research into the human capacity of otherwise decent people to inflict harm on strangers.  (They were just doing as they were told...)

The other message came by way of PBS' "Foyle's War."  As a kid growing up in a Jewish, progressive family, I wrestled with trying to understand how Hitler had been so successful in a modern, civilized world. How could so many people comply with his brutal, illogical dictates?  Where were the voices of opposition, the unified outrage in the face of insanity? While this show doesn't deal directly with these questions, the story lines incorporate the reality that people thought they were doing what was right.  They were following strong, articulate leaders, acting based on fear, and failing to question how harming others could be an ethical, moral way to live life.

I am not trying to directly compare the unspeakable horrors of WWII to the "education reform" efforts in this country. But there are comparisons worth making.  Because at their most basic level, both moments in history rely on fear, compliance, blind following, and unquestioning obedience to authority.

Again, again, I say:  Intelligent Obedience.  We need to learn from the seeing eye dogs.  Sometimes, it is absolutely imperative to disobey orders. Even when we fear the consequences.
In the face of all the illogical mandates and policies created in the name of "education reform" in the past decade, we need to find our collective inner strength and speak truth to power.

The future of our schools and our democracy depend on our bravery and resolve to speak out with one voice.  The voice of reason and sanity in the face of the insanity before us.

Please join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment