(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

UN-TIMED TESTS AND OTHER MISLEADING "CHANGES"

This post is in response to a letter from Deputy Commissioner of Education, Angelica Infante, dated January, 2016:
Subject: “Changes for the 2016 Grades 3-8 English Language Arts and Mathematics Tests

The letter includes the following, in response to widespread concerns about grades 3-8 testing in New York State:

The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is making significant changes to the 2016 Grades 3-8 English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics Tests…These changes will improve the testing experience for students and the validity of the assessments.
This memo outlines changes made as a result of feedback from the field:
  • ·  Greater involvement of educators in the test development process,
  • ·  Decrease in the number of test questions, and
  • ·  A shift to untimed testing.

The letter goes on to detail each of these bullet points. 
But sadly, these responses appear to be nothing more than superficial responses to very serious, substantive concerns.

The “greater involvement of educators” has yielded no real changes to date.  The standards remain developmentally inappropriate; the tests remain too long, cover too many days, and continue to be developmentally inappropriate in both scope and complexity.

The “decrease in the number of test questions” is misleading – almost laughable, actually.  The number of reading passages over the three days of ELA testing (for Grades 5-8) will be reduced by exactly one.  The number of questions will be reduced by the accompanying 7 questions. On Day 2, exactly one short answer question will be removed.  Math tests will be shortened by exactly two multiple choice questions on Day 1.  No changes are scheduled for Days 2 and 3.

Are we really expected to accept these minor changes as anything more than editing?  Surely no one seriously thinks these minor changes really address concerns about length of testing, developmental appropriateness, or stress caused by testing?!

And finally, “a shift to untimed testing.” 
What can that possibly mean and what concern does the SED hope such a change will address?  To date, my district administrators, and therefore all teachers in my district grades 3-8, have yet to be instructed on how an un-timed test will be administered.  This is all they’ve said so far: This change will provide students further opportunity to demonstrate what they know and can do by allowing them to work at their own pace. In general, this will mean that as long as students are productively working they will be allowed as much time as they need to complete the ELA and Mathematics tests. Additionally, this change in policy may help alleviate the pressures that some students may experience as a result of taking an assessment they must complete during a limited amount of time. “

But exactly how long do we let children “work at their own pace?”  How do we determine if a student is “productively working?” What do we do when some students finish in fifteen minutes and others “choose” to work for two or three hours? 
Does anyone really believe this change of policy will actually “help alleviate the pressures” of testing????

Okay, call me naïve, unknowing of so much.  But I believe those who make such policy decisions really suffer from a lack of “Intelligent Disobedience” skills.  They know what they propose has no real value in addressing the serious concerns that have been raised about over-testing. But they’ve been given a job to do – “address the concerns.” And so they make a random list of changes that superficially could seem to respond to the concerns.  But they are counting on no one using their own critical thinking skills to analyze what the “changes” really amount to (or don’t amount to.) 
When what they should really be doing is saying “Wait a second, parents, teachers, administrators, citizens – stakeholders with significant things to lose – are asking for change.  I need to ensure I propose real change.  I need to make sure I contribute to solutions and not perpetuate the problems.  I need to make sure my superiors don’t co-opt me to further their own political agenda which is hurting children and our schools.”

But that is but a dream I have.  I know human nature keeps most from thinking critically when it may be in opposition to directives from above. 

So again, I recommend “Intelligent Disobedience – Doing Right When What You’re Told to do is Wrong” by Ira Chaleff.   Please check it out. Pass it on.  Share the message.
And then find your own inner “intelligent disobedient” self.  And start asking questions.  Refuse to be a pawn in someone else’s terrible game.

Is anyone else with me on this?


No comments:

Post a Comment