(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Friday, February 19, 2016

INTELLIGENT DISOBEDIENCE: An idea whose time has come

People do all sorts of things due to the human nature to comply and to do what's asked of them. It takes a strong individual, or one who's been educated to do so, to stand up to questionable directives. 

Stanley Milgram was probably the most famous social scientist to study compliant behavior and exactly how far one person will go in following orders, despite the risk to another human's safety and well-being.  (If you're unfamiliar with his work, you can check it out here for starters.)

The answer to so many doing so much harm in the name of "education" or worse, "education reform," is to explicitly teach something called "Intelligent Disobedience." 

I highly recommend the book IntelligentDisobedience - Doing Right When What You're Told to do is Wrong by Ira Chaleff.  It's worth the time to read it, (although I think the part on how this would work in a classroom needs further development...)

The author is currently speaking out and trying to create awareness about this critically important facet of human learning.  He proposes explicitly teaching these skills to children (and adults) in hopes more people will be able to question directives when they may lead to harm of another.

In a world that includes so many working at odds with what makes for a healthy, functioning democracy - corporate philanthropists, private charters with public money, TFA, etc., we need more Intelligent Disobedience.

We need to Stop, Think, then Act. 

Is what we're being asked to do promoting well-being? Growth? Learning? Happiness? In whose best interest are you acting?

I am hopeful enough to believe this could help in our quest to turn the tide against the destruction of our public schools.


No comments:

Post a Comment