(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

BOARD OF REGENTS MEETING

I attended my first Board of Regents meeting in Albany on Monday.
It was fascinating and I highly recommend all teachers make the effort to get to Albany at least once in their careers to attend a meeting.

I took lots of notes and hope to post a detailed debriefing this weekend.

These things stick out as important initial observations:


  • This message was repeated several times throughout the day - a major goal of the Board is to regain trust.  (How they're going to do that is still not completely clear...)

  • There seems to have been a deliberate decision to not keep records on how long students chose to sit with the tests in this first year of un-timed tests.  (If records weren't kept, then you can't document if there was a problem...)

  • Amidst a discussion about the impending roll out of computerized testing (for the 2016-17 school year) a Regent wondered aloud about when the Board had actually agreed to move forward with computerized testing.  It was a stunning moment.  And while there was a brief discussion following her question, no conclusions were reached and further discussion was put off to another time in the future.
Stay tuned for more details this weekend...

1 comment:

  1. I plan on attending the July meeting. Where in albany is the meeting held and what time is it? Is the public allowed to view the entire meeting?

    ReplyDelete