(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Saturday, April 16, 2016

MORE ON UN-TIMED TESTING

I thought I was done writing about State testing, but apparently, I'm not.
Ms. Elia's words just echoed in my head:

"Students who are productively working will be able to demonstrate what they know and are able to do, even if it takes more time. We're interested in what students know, not how fast they can go."

I wonder what impact this will have on every day classroom assessments...

Does this mean that unit tests, and mid-terms, and finals, and maybe even those weekly spelling tests should also be un-timed?

If the State has declared that they're "interested in what students know, not how fast they can go" then who are we at the local level to place time constraints on students during any test?  Isn't the goal to always discover what our students know, not how fast they can go?

But that leads me to other questions.

One of the most common reasons given why parents should not let their children refuse the tests is because in real life, there are challenges.  And just because the challenge is hard, doesn't mean you can "opt out."

Well, I don't do a lot of testing in my class. (I prefer essays where students really do get to show what they know.)  But I do know that in real life, you don't get unlimited time on many things.

What life lesson are we teaching our children/students if we show them that this critically important State test does not require them to show what they know in any particular time frame?  Does this set them up for failure later in life, certainly in their high school and college careers when assignments and tests most definitely have a timed component?

These are important questions to consider.

It's been clear that the NYSED doesn't do a lot of projecting into the future in regards to potential real-life impacts of policy on children.

So the questioning is left to us.

Please, ask the questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment