(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

WHY THE MISSING NYS TEST BOOKLET PAGE MATTERS

For those who haven't heard, there was a page missing from the 2016 New York State ELA test booklets for grades 3-8. Given the excessive importance given to these tests, the enormous amount of money spent on creating, prepping for, and administering these tests, this omission has to be important in some way. I admit I continued to be confused why there is so little public discussion about the missing test booklet page.  Even amongst my colleagues, there is a general sense that it is a minor detail not worth wondering or worrying about.  

While some might say I'm just looking for stuff to complain about, I maintain that the missing page has much more significant implications. 

Here are some things worthy of pondering:

              Even if you personally don't plan your writing ahead of time, many students do (particularly students who have been test-prepped for months and given a "formula" for writing high scoring essays.)  Your personal feelings about the importance of a planning page doesn't make the absence of one any less important to those students that needed it.
              The test booklet directions, as well as the directions read aloud by teachers, refer to a "planning page" that wasn't there.
              Students are instructed not to go past "stop signs" nor to write in any spaces not designated for answers.
              A main intent of these tests is to claim a standardized (read: "irrefutable") ranking of students across the State. But standardized test scores require standardized testing conditions.  On Wednesday, April 6th, only some students were alerted to accommodations they could make in the absence of the official "planning page." Other students did not receive that advantage.  Blank pages were only available in some grades' test booklets, and occurred after the "stop signs" that test takers are instructed not to turn past.       TO SUMMARIZE - a planning page, critical for organized and coherent writing for some students, was missing in all test booklets.  Only some students were instructed on alternative spaces to use for planning.  CONCLUSION - all students did NOT test under standardized (read: "the same") conditions.
              What protocols does the testing company Questar have in place to insure accurate, error-free publishing of standardized test booklets?  How and why did the protocols fail?  Is there any consequence to the testing company for its error of omission?  What other errors may have been made that are far less obvious?
              Can the scores of the essay on Day 2 of NYS ELA testing be considered valid under the conditions outlined above?  (read: "Testing conditions were not standardized across the State.  Valid scores require standardized conditions.")
Just some food for thought...


Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment