(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Saturday, April 9, 2016

MORE "TESTING 2016" DEBRIEFING...

As time wears on, and I have more time to think about testing this past week in New York State, I get more and more sad, confused, and outraged.

The Commissioner and the Governor both said "they heard the parents." 

But I'm not sure what they heard the parents say.

The parents (and, in case it matters to anyone, the teachers,) said the tests were too long.

The response? Keep them three days long, remove a handful of questions, and un-time them?

The result? Most of two weeks in a "prime teaching/learning time" of year taken up by testing and disrupted schedules.

The result?  Mostly the same length tests (as evidenced by the State's own "estimated time" for tests.)

The result? Some students sat for 2, 3, 4, hours and sometimes more. 
Children as young as 9 years old, "voluntarily" choosing to sit with a test, in order to do as they were told!

And the missing page? Don't get me started on that one again!  (See previous posts for why it matters and why the test scores have been invalidated.)

This is nothing short of State-sanctioned child abuse, and teachers have been co-opted into being complicit.

This is a moment in time when we all need to speak out.
This is that moment in time when we need to stop following orders and question the sanity and logic of what we're being told to do.

And if you haven't read the book already, I once again highly recommend Intelligent Disobedience: Doing Right When What You're Told To Do Is Wrong.

This groundbreaking book will give you all the reasons you need to just-say-no.

(And let me know when you finish reading the book. We can set up a chat here on the blog to share stories, ideas, and encouragement.)

No comments:

Post a Comment