(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Sunday, April 24, 2016

MORE ON THE BOARD OF REGENTS MEETING...

I said I'd post more specifics on the BoR meeting I attended last Monday.  But I haven't had the brain energy to sift through my notes as I'd intended.

I'll just re-iterate these important highlights:


  • The Board has clearly heard there are trust issues in our State, between the public and the SED.
  • They clearly seem concerned about re-gaining trust.
  • Their path to regaining trust is unclear, however.


I have great faith in Dr. Betty Rosa to lead forward into sanity, if that's possible.
I have faith that she'll be successful bringing actual research findings to the table when making critical policy decisions.
I also have faith that there were will be some positive movement on teacher evaluation plans, helping struggling schools, and something to do with testing.

But I am also equally clear that she cannot do it alone.
She needs teachers and parents to stand behind her and continue to question and to hold the entire SED - Regents, Commissioners, office staff, and the Governor - accountable for re-righting the ship, and steering us towards logical, child-centered decision-making.

We need to keep pressing for the things that will make us trust them again (sane, appropriate and logical standards, tests, and teacher evaluations.)  We need to speak out against the things that make us question their trust-ability (missing test pages, unlimited time to take tests, pressuring young children to decide for themselves how long to test for, continued inappropriate questions, too-long tests, questionable standards, and onerous, stressful, unproductive teacher evaluation systems that require districts such as mine to add three more administrators just to keep up with evaluations and paperwork, etc.)

If you live in New York State, your voice is needed.  

Join with me here or send your own comments and questions.

But please, participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment