(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Thursday, April 7, 2016

STATE TESTING 2016 - DAY 3

In case you haven't heard, the test booklets for grades 3-5 in New York State were missing planning pages for essay writing this week.  Some may say this is minor, and ask "what's the big deal?"
But if you're someone who uses pre-planning as a strategy for writing coherent, organized essays, then this omission is significant enough it could impact your writing and therefore ultimately, your score.

The State's response was predictably quiet. Late yesterday, they issued a letter of response.
A tad late, I'd say.

What checks and balances does Questar have in place to ensure that tests are published accurately and in their entirety?  Who is responsible for quality control?  Who is going to check on the validity of test scores in light of the page omission?  And who is going to speak out about trust and reliability, in general, when it comes to State testing?

Do you trust the State to do the right thing, as they keep insisting we should?  Do you feel confident in the State's ability/intent to make things right?  To authentically reboot the process of reform?  To genuinely respond to stakeholder concerns by making substantive changes to past bad policy?

I can't say I'm feeling much trust these days.
How 'bout you?

And if you're so inclined, I strongly encourage you to contact your local papers and ask them to cover this story (the one about the missing pages in the NYState ELA 3-5 tests, and the State's rather weak response.)
Better yet, if you live in NY State, call your State representatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment