(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

STATE TESTING 2016 - DAY 2

You know those tests we're all supposed to be supporting and pressuring parents to trust?
"Things have changed. Opt back in. Parents aren't seeing change because they don't want to, blah blah blah???"

Today, Day 2 of ELA tests written by Pearson but published by Questar, my students discovered there was no planning page for the essay. (This is the designated for utilizing the pre-writing planning skills I spend so much time teaching...)

The written and oral directions clearly tell students to use the Planning Page,  and practice materials by Pearson have always contained a Planning Page.

But today? No Planning Page.

And while that may seem like a relatively minor error, in this current climate of "trust us, things have changed" to have such an obvious omission is unacceptable.  

It is hard to have confidence in the existence of a myriad of smaller, nuanced details we can't detect so easily, if something so blatant has been overlooked.

Just thought I'd share...
(Not sure what this will do to the validity of the essay scores. Some of my students really depend on the planning strategies I've taught them in order to write organized essays the respond in detail to a given prompt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment