(Site under intermittent construction. Changes may appear randomly at any time.)

A word or two about this Blog site:

I've resisted creating my own place here in cyberspace for some time. There are many brilliant, articulate people writing about what's going on in public education. Mountains of data and knowledge that expose the "education reform" movement as neither can be found all over the internet. I highly recommend you check out dianeravitch.com or curmudgucation.blogspot.com, for starters.

I would like to use this site as a way to rant a little and to pose my own questions, as issues in my daily teaching life impel me to rant and I do like to ask questions. And my friends and family may have grown weary of me filling their inboxes. I also like to muse about possible answers, and hope I will be heard in cyberspace by at least a few interested readers.

Having said that, I seek communication in writing that moves the conversation forward, even towards actionable results. I know I can't control writers I've never met and never will meet, but if you choose to comment, I encourage you to help us understand your point of view. Snark is welcomed. Rudeness is not.

Thanks for reading!

Saturday, April 16, 2016

POUGHKEEPSIE JOURNAL INTERVIEW WITH COMMISSIONER ELIA

Here is a great interview of the New York State Commissioner of Education by the Poughkeepsie Journal on April 14th.

It's long but well-worth the time to watch and listen.

The questions are direct and cover many concerns that have been raised about receivership, testing, teacher evaluations, and more.  The answers are often evasive but there is satisfaction in hearing the questions at least being asked.

Among some important highlights:  Ms. Elia seems to firmly believe a teacher evaluation system has to produce positive outcomes, be created in conjunction with teachers, be done at a local level, and be for the benefit of students.  She agrees there's more work to be done.  She says there's a plan to give parents more useful information on their child's tests results, and she thinks there needs to be a partnership with universities to ensure students graduating from high school are in fact "college ready."

Things not asked or not answered clearly - what about the missing pages in the ELA test booklets this year?  What impact does the missing page have on test validity? Was she aware some teachers knew and were able to alert their students to the missing page, and other teachers didn't know until the test booklets were collected? What impact does students sitting for vastly different amounts of time have on the scores they get?  (Is a "3" from a student who took 70 minutes to take a test equivalent to the "3" another students took 3 hours to get?)  How can she keep saying teachers reviewed and approved all the test questions on all the tests, thereby implying all the test questions are now developmentally appropriate and well-written (a major concern of all stakeholders) when in fact the teacher reviewers could only replace bad questions from a list of Pearson created questions that could also be bad but maybe not AS bad...  This strikes me as a tad disingenuous...

Watch the video and then add your own comments to the PJ page. Maybe the paper will start covering the story of missing test pages and the travesty of un-timed tests.

The public MUST know.

No comments:

Post a Comment